Im a 16 year old with celiac disease, and am looking for something to help alleviate my period. Im looking for a basis of what to ask my doctor before I go in, although I am interested in an oral pill. Do you have any help?

When people with Celiac

When people with Celiac Disease eat foods that contain gluten, it creates a toxic reaction that causes damage to the small intestine and other health problems. Thus gluten containing foods (like wheat) must be avoided.

You may be concerned about the actual ingredients of oral contraceptive pills, I am not aware of any gluten in the pills. However, I would suggest that you carefully read your package insert, particularly information about the inert or inactive ingredients. You should also ask your pharmacist about the ingredients of the specific pill you are considering taking.

According to the Celiac Disease Foundation, some of the health problems caused by Celiac Disease include dental enamel defects, osteoporosis, bone or joint pain, and depression. Given that loss of bone density and depression can be caused by hormonal contraception, I would think it wise to avoid taking the risk.

Best of luck,
Dr. Williams

Monnica Williams, Ph.D.
Sex Education Advisor.

STD Facts and Photos:
Free Pregnancy Testing Centers: 800-395-HELP.


The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her health professional. This information is solely for informational purposes and does not constitute the practice of medicine. We encourage all visitors to see a licensed physician or nutritionist if they have any concerns regarding health issues related to diet, personal image and any other topics discussed on this site. Neither the owners or employees of nor the author(s) of site content take responsibility for any possible consequences from any treatment, procedure, exercise, dietary modification, action or application of medication which results from reading this site. Always speak with your primary health care provider before engaging in any form of self treatment. Please see our Legal Statement for further information.